I really fell hard for this dress from Gap, but felt like the length was just a smudge too short for my taste. But there was no way I could match the fabric, so I started looking for something that would coordinate. It took a few years. I’m patient.
Because I did a tutorial like this before, I am just sharing a bit about the process for this one, but for detailed instructions on lengthening a dress, check out my previous post about Lengthening a Denim Dress.
The original dress is from Gap. No way of matching the fabric short of hunting a second dress down on eBay and cutting it up for the fabric. Not happening. Then I found the perfect fabric! It coordinates with the watercolor-y vibe of the blue in the dots, but in a semi-solid cotton. Same fibre content as the dress.
Unlike my denim dress lengthening project, this one needed a different approach because the fabric is lighter weight and the cut completely different. I secured the lengthened portion on the lining of the dress instead!
I just love the result! It hits at the centre of my knees. Yipee! And the contrasting hem has a nice look.
One more with the before and after side-by-side…