I usually make things from scratch, but sometimes that is not possible. In the old days, before I had children, if I came down with a bad cold, I’d get a whole chicken and raw carrots and celery and all the ingredients to make chicken soup from scratch. Yes, I was nuts. These days, I have learned a new trick. I use ready-made ingredients for my Quick Get Well Soup.
Quick Get Well Soup
- Concentrated chicken stock (I get mine from Chicken Inn in Cork’s English Market)
- Canned mini carrots
- Juice from 1 lemon
- Freshly cooked orzo, keep warm
- Fresh basil, parsley, or your favorite herbs
- Bring the chicken stock to a simmer with water, Use the stock:water ratio from the instructions on container.
- Put on low and add the carrots.
- Stir in the lemon juice.
- When ready to enjoy a bowl, ladle a portion into a bowl and stir in the freshly cooked orzo. Top with minced fresh herbs.
That’s it! It is not the most amazing soup on earth, but when I have a cold it goes down easily and is soothing without all the additives and sodium of prepared soup mixes.