I love the current eyelet trend and add ruffles?! I found a darling white eyelet top at Penney’s that is 100% cotton and it was when we had those few hot days after Easter, but before I had gotten out my summer clothing from their storage spot. I just needed a top to get through the week. Which is unlike me, but I’m unaccustomed to such heat in Ireland and just am not prepared. Which irks me. I love being prepared. So, I wore the top a lot in that week, but then saw photos of me in it. Eek! It made me look bigger than I am and the neckline was doing nothing for me. So, I decided to cut it up and make it something a little different. This is that creative adventure…
- White sewing thread, my sewing machine, and fabric scissors.
- 1 sleeveless, belted white eyelet cotton top.
- A bit of cotton fabric with eyelet elements from Vibes & Scribes, so I used that too. Here they are together.
And I needed a dose of bravery because I had no idea what I was doing.
Here is the before photo. Very boxy. But Volvos were boxy and they’re great, so I had hope.
It’s not doing a thing for me, but I like the fabric.
The eyelet fabric was very nice to start so I was hopeful that any result would be nice too.
Cutting into the top to separate half the front then play around with it from there. I removed the centre section of the front and took in the same amount in the back to reduce the size of the top. I left the top intact in the back and from my natural waist down because I wanted it simple and straight for that area.
Here I am showing where I’ll cut or dancing to Madonna’s Vogue.
Then I cut it. *deep breath*
And it was done. *exhale*
I also removed the belt loops.
I like faux wrap tops, real wrap tops, and v-necks because I feel they flatter me. So, I decided to do a faux wrap for this too.
I cut along the eyelet pattern for a soft decorative edge.
I placed the cut front piece across to create a wrap-like effect and pinned it.
Then I added the inset piece to one side. This was a random decision that worked out. Seriously, this top has a guardian angel because I was not on my game that day.
Each piece to sew was secured with pins. There were A LOT of pins because it involved adding an inset to one side, taking in the top in the back centre seam, and creating a wrap effect in the front.
I started sewing the places with the most pins to get it over with in case I needed to try it on along the way. With the back being a very simple alteration, I started there. Then I moved to adding the inset. The penultimate step was sewing up the wrap part and waist. Then finally the side seam.
You know that comic of mathematicians or scientists at a chalkboard with an obviously complex equation in front of them and then ‘Miracle occurs here’ – that’s how it was to sew this top. Somehow, it worked out in spite of my ineptitude and lack of strategy. Oddly, that’s also how I felt about dating. That worked out too.
I’m very fond of the final top.
It definitely fits my shape better in a flattering and classic way. I can see myself wearing it over a camisole or tank with jeans or even as an added layer atop a sundress to shade my shoulders from the sun (or in church).
You can barely tell the inset piece is not originally part of the shirt. Well, I mean you can, but it isn’t bad.
The seams are lovely actually. Eyelet can be intimidating to work with, but is actually forgiving if this top is any indication.
I’m delighted. One last before and after.